Set of three “Hand Grenade” pendant lights designed by Alvar Aalto,
Three brass pendants.
H: 33.5 cm / 1' 1 1/5"
D: 12.5 cm / 5"
These 'Hand Grenade' pendant lights were originally designed by Alvar Aalto in 1952 alongside his architectural plans for the Finnish Engineers' Association building in Helsinki. The pieces are made up of two cylindrical forms; one taller slotted into a slightly wider version that houses the bulb, a design intended to eliminate the glare of the naked light source itself. This design cleverly creates a soft glow that emanates warmth, yet with a simple and industrial aesthetic. This model works perfectly independently or as a set, as photographed alongside this text. They were manufactured by Louis Poulsen with license from Valaistustyö.
Alvar Aalto was a Finnish architect and designer. His work includes architecture, furniture, lighting, and glassware, as well as sculptures and paintings. He never regarded himself as an artist, seeing painting and sculpture as "branches of the tree whose trunk is architecture." The pure Functionalist phase in Aalto’s work lasted for several years. It enabled him to make an international breakthrough, largely because of Paimio Sanatorium (1929-1933), an important Functionalist milestone. Aalto had adopted the principals of user-friendly, functional design in his architecture, and it was characteristic of Aalto to treat each building as a complete work of art – right down to the furniture and light fittings. The design of his furniture combined practicality and aesthetics with series production, encouraging a more beautiful everyday life in the home.
* SOLD *